Attractions Around Palika Bazaar

Laxmi Narayan Temple

Birla Mandir is dedicated to one of the trimurthis, lord Laxminarayan. Laxminarayan is an avatar of lord Vishnu, the preserver, accompanied by Lakshmi, his consort. This temple was built during 1933 to 1939 by B. R. Birla and Jugal Kishore Birla. The temple was inaugurated by the father of our nation, Mahatma Gandhi. Temples present inside are dedicates to Shiva, Buddha and Krishna.

The temple is coated on a spacious place of 7.5 acres. It is endowed with many fountains and a large garden. The Geeta Bhawan used for discourses is also present here. During the Hindu festivals of Janmashtami in Delhi, devotees throng this temple.

Cinema Houses

Four theatres came up within Connaught Place, Plaza, Regal, Rivoli, Odeon and a short-lived “Indian Talkie House” during the 1930s-40s. In 1932, Sir Sobha Singh opened Regal, the first theatre of CP, which was designed by architect Walter Sykes George. Initially, it was used for stage performances and later, it played host to Russian Ballet, Western Classical music artists and theatre groups of Britain. Later, morning and evening shows were started. In 1940, Plaza designed by Sir Rober Tor Russell (the architect of Connaught Place) and owned by actor Sohrab Modi (until 1950) was opened.  In1945, the city’s second 70mm screen Odeon was opened (the first being Shiela Cinema" in Paharganj). The smallest theatre was Rivoli. Though the ownership changed hands, most of the theatres are still running. Multiplex giant PVR Cinemas owns Plaza and Rivoli while Reliance Big Pictures has set up a joint venture in Odeon.

Central Park

Central park is spread over an area of 41500 sqmt and is located above the metro station - Rajiv Chowk at Connaught Place. Some of the features of this park include perennial flowering pants, four water bodies, inclusive of a cascade, twinkling lampposts, 350 chair amphitheatre, water fountains and various different plants. The positioning of mild CFL lighting through ensures a relaxing environment after hectic shopping at Connaught Position

Agrasen ki Baoli

Agrasen ki Baoli (also known as Agar Sain ki Baoli or Ugrasen ki Baoli) is 60 meter long by 15 meter wide historical step well. It is located on Hailey Road near Connaught Place, which is a short walk from Jantar Mantar in New Delhi, India. This monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act of 1958 of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) is a protected monument. Though there are no official records, the origin of this monument is traced back to the times King Agrasen of Mahabharat. It is believed to have been rebuilt by the Agrawal community in the 14th century.

Art Today

The collections of some of the commercially high profile artists are displayed here. Well designed posters and catalogues are produced here.

A-1 Hamilton House, Connaught Place, New Delhi-110001

Phone: 23320689 23352233

Timing: 11.00 am to 7.00 pm